Spring Awakening Birthdays

 May is here. 

My baby turns 4 next week and I honestly can't wrap my head around it. Having a daughter is a heavy thing sometimes. I love all 3 of my kids the same. With her though, I sometimes feel this responsibility to help her be a better woman than I. 

 I recently saw a video put out by Dove about a young girl struggling with her self esteem, her weight, eating disorders and her worth. It was relatable in more ways than one for me. Self love has been a journey in my life. 

I think the older I get the more I worry about how she will see herself as she grows. I don't ever want her to worry about her appearance the way I felt over the years. I think the opinions of other people can be crippling and I want her to realize just how beautifully built she is. 

I want that for all 3 of them. To see themselves as these perfectly imperfect beautiful beings made for this world to make a difference no matter how big or small that may be. The world can be hard sometimes. It tries to force us to fit molds and judgements. Being a parent is hard. I feel like your kids can teach you things about yourself, sometimes the things you try to avoid even. I want my kids to love themselves in ways that I struggled with in my youth. Being in my 30's I've realized that no matter our age, loving yourself is a lifelong relationship. 


Charlize,

On your 4th birthday,

I hope you always see how beautiful you are. Not only on the outside but on the inside as well.

I hope you realize that your beauty is only one aspect of you and that your mind, your thoughts, your love, are all part of the makeup of you. 

I hope you never lose sight of your dreams. 

I hope you always feel the fire in life.

I hope you love yourself through other people's judgments.

Never stop loving yourself.

I hope you constantly evolve, change, and forgive. 

I love you sweet girl. 

 xo A

 



Comments

Popular Posts